Monday, April 19, 2010

New Camera, New photos

So a few weeks into term, and I have yet to post anything.

That is about to change.

First, the photos from a point and shoot:

This is a photo of my cats WITHOUT exposure compensation.


This is almost the same image, WITH exposure compensation.

The photo on the top was shot with a standard auto ISO, and Exposure. The backlight threw everything into a yellow tone, ISO changes and shutter speed allowed me to take a photo that was not thrown into such color. I was able to recreate this photo (in case you don't have an option to alter your ISO and exposure settings) by putting my hand over the top of the lens to create a "hood" to block out some of the light. It is like looking into tree and being blinded by the sun...the camera can only handle so much light before it does it's own version of compensation.

The next image is a distant subject (the mountain) captured with a telephoto setting on the lens, making it seem close than it really is.


This was taken from a balcony in our Campus Center, the mountain is the South Sister captured in Bend, Oregon.

The following image is on the same mountain range, but with a Wide Angle setting on the lens.


I have several more photos from the digital point and shoot, but now I must bring you to my newest toy in the toolbox.

This is the Olympus 10 MP E-420 Digital SLR (Single Len Reflex) camera. This allows more control over the digital settings and the manual focus. She comes with a removable lens that can be switched out for different lenses.

With this camera, I am able to capture images that before have only been seen by my naked eye.

This photo was taken at around 4:00 PM on a sunny day in Bend, Oregon. I am standing on a dock overlooking the "Little Deschutes" section of the Deschutes River. I am photographing into Drake park from Pageant Park. This is taken with a wide angle, landscape setting, without flash.

This is the Drake-Pageant Park Bridge. It crosses Little Deschutes, and was captured just before sun set at around 5:30 PM on a sunny day.


This photo was taken at a campus interaction event called Jam on the Hill. It is a snow board competition held in the back parking lot of the administration building at Central Oregon Community College. Students competed in this Jam for the glory and fame, and to raise student body involvement.

Because of the fast shutter speed of the Sports Setting on the new camera, I was able to capture the drop ins, the jumps, the grinds, and the biffs of the afternoons action.

I am certain that I will be posting many more photos, next week's assignment is Night Photography, should be exciting.

Please let me know what you think, and where I need to improve.

THANKS A TON

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, These shots are really good. Nice views, and caught that boarder in motion really well. Nicely done. Also, Drake Park has a no diving sign now? lol.

    ReplyDelete